Are you looking to join a team that is making a difference in the future of San Jose? We are looking for skilled professionals who wants to help us shape the city center of Silicon Valley. The San Jose Downtown Association is a non-profit organization that has worked closely with private and public sector partners since 1986 to improve downtown San Jose. Please check out our website before applying to better understand our mission, programs, and services. Details on the various available positions are below:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
San Jose Downtown Association, Human Resources
28 N. First St., #1000
San Jose, CA 95113
Street Life Manager, San Jose Downtown Association
The Property-Based Improvement District (PBID) is a special assessment district that
conveys certain benefits to the properties located within its boundaries. Established in August 2007 and managed by
the San Jose Downtown Association, the Property-Based Improvement District (PBID) provides a way to fund
downtown cleaning and beautification projects. The PBID commissioned the Downtown Street Life Plan (DSLP) to
create a vision and road map for place-making and public realm improvements based on stakeholder input and long-
term needs assessment.
The Street Life Manager is a full-time, exempt position responsible for managing the implementation of DSLP and
beautification projects within the PBID. Scope of the role includes implementation of public art and capital projects,
advocacy, stewardship of the urban tree canopy, community engagement, and mentoring/supporting other
downtown members to enhance the public realm, vibrancy, and street life of the downtown San Jose, America’s
tenth largest city. The position will often be the point-person to guide projects and initiatives through their full life
cycle. This position reports to the Director of Policy and Operations.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Prioritize, coordinate and implement targeted the Downtown Street Life Plan (DSLP) and beautification projects
within the PBID, as well as lead/assist with street life related policy and advocacy efforts.
- Identify and develop community partners interested in DSLP and beautification project collaboration and
- Coordinate with various City of San Jose departments in implementing DSLP and beautification projects.
- Negotiate, plan and implement vendor contracts for DSLP and beautification projects.
- Develop, manage and monitor DSLP and beautification budgets. Primary liaison to City of San Jose personnel and
private property owners on DSLP projects.
- Assist in other PBID projects and activities as needed.
- BA/BS degree and a minimum of five years professional experience in project management, community
development, landscape architecture, urban planning, or environmental design.
- Ideal candidate will have a background or strong interest in placemaking, public art, policy, design, community
engagement, urban management, or economic development.
- Knowledge or principles and practices of community design and development are desirables. Specific knowledge
and past experience with City of San Jose a plus.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills required, as well as the ability to be flexible and work independently.
- Computer proficient and strong graphic communication skills with emphasis on Adobe Creative Suite and
SALARY: Salary range is $80,000-95,000 and is commensurate with experience; competitive benefit package.
DEADLINE: Friday, May 31, 2019 by 5 p.m.
Partnership Manager, San Jose Downtown Association
San Jose Downtown Association (SJDA) Partnership Manager develops and implements
membership and sponsorship services. The Partnership Manager is responsible for strengthening relationships
with members, city officials, residents, business organizations and neighborhood groups. The Partnership
Manager also provides sponsorship sales and related management and development services for SJDA produced
events, promotions and programs.
The Partnership Manager is a full-time, exempt position and is supervised by and reports to the Director of Marcom
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Develop an annual plan for membership outreach, sponsorship development and campaign initiatives that align
with the highly seasonal nature of SJDA’s events, programs and advocacy.
- Track and evaluate membership/sponsorship programs and processes for success and effectiveness.
- Oversee Salesforce database management including Business Improvement District (BID) membership,
sponsorship data and initiatives to support data accuracy.
- Manage the Downtown Doors program on behalf of the San Jose Downtown Foundation.
- Develop member-based initiatives and campaign strategies targeted towards SJDA Strategic Goals.
- Implement innovative membership engagement programs including Historic District, Small Business Saturday,
Dine Downtown and other trending business/restaurant promotions.
- Generate and update membership, sponsorship and partnership materials including welcome packets,
sponsorship proposals, thank-you letters, final reports and other Business Improvement District (BID)
membership focused materials.
- Manage, coordinate, conduct and track member visits and outreach on a monthly basis.
- Recruit new sponsors into SJDA sponsorship program, which includes event-based sponsorships (i.e. title and
presenting sponsors), on-site promotions, dasher boards and private parties.
- Develop and implement a sponsor retention plan including targeted touch points, well-executed fulfillment and
a sponsor appreciation plan.
- Negotiate, generate, implement and manage sponsorship contracts including fulfillment before, during and
after events and programs.
- Supervise volunteers, contractors and interns as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- BA/BS degree and 4+ years of experience driving member engagement and revenue growth through
relationship building in fund development, partner management, membership or sales roles.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills with ability to distill conversations into concrete plans.
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritization skills with attention to detail.
- Strategic-minded and process-oriented with ability to effectively manage new ways of work.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Track record of securing and managing at least $250K in revenue, sponsorship revenue preferred.
- Demonstrated passion for the mission of SJDA and its events.
- Salesforce or other CRM/fundraising database experience.
- Adobe Illustrator, DreamWeaver or other graphic design programs a plus.
SALARY: Salary range is $75,000 – $90,000 and is commensurate with experience; competitive benefit package.
DEADLINE: Sunday, June 2, 2019 by 5 p.m.
Updated May, 2019
Events and Promotions Internship Position
The San Jose Downtown Association’s (SJDA) Events and Promotions Internship is ideal for a candidate interested in gaining valuable event logistics, operations, promotions and media sponsorship experience. SJDA provides hands on experience in a fast-paced, fun, non-profit environment. The position allows interns a chance to work in a unique and creative atmosphere while gaining contacts and skills beneficial to a future career in a variety of areas, including event production.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Events and Promotions Internship duties consist of providing support to SJDA’s Events and Promotions Manager including the following potential duties:
- Assist with promotional and/or production duties associated with events that pertain to semester availability, including: Farmers’ Market (Fridays May 3 thru Nov. 1); Music in the Park Concerts (June 21, July 19, Aug. 1, Aug. 23.); Starlight Cinemas (July 13, 27, Aug 3, 17) Dine Downtown (July 19 – 28); and partnered Public Space Activation related events.
- Experiences may include assisting with: production/logistical planning and advance work; vendor and sponsor outreach/pre-event advancements; on site set up/strike management of vendors/contractors/ sponsors and volunteer scheduling and oversight.
- Assist with fulfilling media sponsorship and other partner promotional trade agreements, including serving as liaison between partners and SJDA internal Communications and Marketing team and ensuring trade agreements are executed and logos/information mutually shared via agreed upon marketing assets.
- Assist with developing and tracking promotional marketing efforts. Experiences may include: ensuring events are cross-promoted at other events with on site signage/collateral; photo and collateral archiving for event recap reports: conducting event surveys and formulating results.
- Assist with neighborhood and business promotional outreach efforts associated with all events.
- MAC proficient – including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point. Knowledge of Adobe applications and shared Google Docs a plus.
- Willingness to learn via hands-on, on-site experience.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills – comfortable with face-to-face and phone conversations with variety of partners.
- Ability to work independently, and willingness to take on a full range of tasks.
10 to 25 hours per week, with opportunities to gain more experience hours during event days.
This is an unpaid internship position, and therefore is not eligible to participate in company benefits, personal time off or paid holidays.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: 408-279-1904.
SJDA is a non-profit membership based organization founded in 1986 that represents business and property owners working to enhance the vitality and livability of downtown San Jose. The purpose of the San Jose Downtown Association is to improve business conditions in downtown San Jose and promote a positive image of downtown through advertising, public relations and outdoor events.
For Groundwerx clean and ambassador team job inquires, please contact the Groundwerx office at 408-287-1520.